3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2 very overripe bananas
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup all purpose flour (or replace up to 1/2 cup with wholewheat flour)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 180oC and line a 8 x 8in baking pan with grease proof paper.
- Spread the walnuts on an ungreased baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 to 8 mins, or until just fragrant.
- Meanwhile, mash the bananas in a medium mixing bowl. Add the oil, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda. Add the banana mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the walnuts and cranberries, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 mins, or until the top is browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out nearly clean. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
Taken from the Runner’s World Cookbook.